How do you balance your work and personal life?

Most of the time it seems as if we are squeezing in the personal in between our work obligations, but sometimes it is the other way around – personal takes precedence. It’s been one of those weeks.

Between my granddaughter’s first day of summer and my elderly mum having some medical and legal issues to take care, there hasn’t been a lot of work going on this week.

And you know what? I have decided that rather than stressing about it, it’s OK.  I’m blessed to be self employed and having the flexibility to manage my time and my work; we are a 2 income family and I’m not the only one paying the bills, in fact my hubby’s biz is booming. I realize that not everyone has the luxury of taking the time to take care of family when the need is there, or if they do, may face serious financial and employment consequences. So I am feeling very grateful.

Grateful to have been able to spend the day with my seven-year-old granddaughter reliving that magical feeling of  the expansive freedom of the first day of summer vacation, enjoying her day of skateboarding, monkey bars, puzzles and an ice cream treat.

Grateful to spend this time with my mum, helping her though the hurdles of aging, knowing that at 88, it’s really an unknown much time we have left with her. 

Work will always be there, but there are only so many first days of summer vacation, and only so many days to walk the path with an aging parent.

Just like a seesaw, sometimes one side is up, and sometimes it’s down and rarely is it perfectly poised in the middle. And that seems to be the way of things.

So here is my advice on a summer afternoon – trust your heart to lead the way, and at the end of the day, you will find that right balance.







2 comments:

  1. Very nice Julie…seems you chose a photo of one of our finest teachers... as it seems Taeya's answer to balance is to keep everything moving fast through the space in-between…from ring to ring. Just came from the Bolinas SunFest and the blessing of 28 newborns in a beach ceremony with all the faces of the people I have lived with for 36 years…all at varying degrees of success and failure at answering the question you pose. I see again how we share collectively in the answering of our personal enquiry..share our needs and resources…other's children..the burden of mothers…tired fathers and troubled sons…nourishing food and shelter….labor and playbor…. Not sure there even exists an individual response to our search for that elusive balance. But I would say if there is such a person who seems to dance on that edge quite well…. it's you.
    You are one amazingly resilient and enduring: (not a complete list) - woman……mother….....daughter…....sister…..….grandmother…...wife X 3….. nurse... translator.... who has for as long as I've known her righted yourself up after many a sharp turn. <Just saying... your writing is a cat walking nimbly on a narrow fence…leaving us with…'How does she do dat?'…it's in the dance…Shiva standing on one foot... in a ring of fire……surrendered to the balance within...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much John for your poetic response, worthy of its own blog post!

      Delete