Lightening my load – a daily practice

It sure did feel good to leave behind that tiresome quartet of perfectionism, procrastination, judgment and worry by the wayside yesterday….. but you know what I realized this morning?  Those tricky mindsets have a way of sneaking back in while you are sleeping… ever notice that?

My conclusion? Sadly, it’s not a once and for all mental/emotional/psychological de-cluttering job. Just like that stuff keeps creeping back into our homes, cars, closets, desks….. you know the stuff I mean; well, so too does the mental junk.

The solution?

For me, it’s the daily practice of meditation. While I have noticed increased value from at least a half hour daily, even 5 or 15 minutes can be incredibly beneficial. And even though sometimes it seems like all that is happening is that my mind is chattering away like crazy, flitting from list making to what if scenarios to planning frenzies to "I’m hungry" like some hummingbird with ADD, the reality is that I’m a different person when I get up from my meditation cushion (actually, my living room couch). 

There is more room somehow, for that which is beyond me to make known its presence.  For that space between all those thoughts to open up, so I can feel the presence of Spirit. Space for Reality to reveal itself. For the holy to override the mundane.

And the other beautiful thing about meditating that I have noticed? I’m calmer, happier, kinder; more easily able to switch off the voices of worry, fear, whatever, and remind myself of my true nature, my unbounded, limitless, joyful Self.

And you dear reader, will you join me on the cushion?


1 comment: