Empowered, health conscious, mothers and grandmothers

I absolutely love being a mom and adore being grandma- well, in our family we call that role Tutu – from the Hawaiian for grandmother. There’s that magic element that comes from being free of the existential angst that plagues us in our 20’s and 30’s, and having earned that hard won perspective that comes with time and life experience, that brings us into the present where children truly live.

So, my granddaughters being 5 and 9, and hoping for more down the road….I plan on being around for a long time. And not just being around; I plan on being a healthy, vibrant, active and financially abundant mom and Tutu so I can enjoy, nourish, nurture, support, play with and yes, why not, spoil them all!

So, what am I doing to ensure all this? Here’s my 7-point plan of action for physical, emotional and financial health for empowered, entrepreneurial moms and Tutu’s….

1. Nourish. I consume a wholesome diet of nutrient dense organic foods in their natural, unprocessed state, following the nourishing traditions that kept our ancestors healthy and vital. Whenever possible, I buy my food straight from the farmers who grow it or raise it. Do I eat perfectly all the time? No, I love to eat out and so I aim for the 80%/20% rule. Do I ever indulge? You bet! I love my Trader Joe’s biodynamic wine and my dark chocolate. I prepare my food with love, share it with passion, and eat it with a heart full of gratitude.

2. Cleanse. Let’s face it, we don’t live in the same world our ancestors or even our grandparents lived in. No matter how hard we may try to avoid them, we are deluged with toxins in the air we breathe, the food we consume, the water we drink. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the average person now has 212 environmental chemicals in their blood. Even our airways are contaminated with harmful radio and microwave frequencies from all of our wireless technology. It’s easy to freak out when you start thinking about it. Luckily, there are solutions. So I make sure to incorporate a cellular cleanse in my daily routine. I also try to use my technology judiciously and protect myself and my family with products that emit what my granddaughter  calls “happy energy” to counteract the harmful effects of artificial radiation.

3. Nurture. I nurture my soul by connecting to Life, God, Source, whatever term you use, through regular spiritual practice, involvement with my spiritual community, being of service, spending time in nature, devoting quality time to be with those near and dear to me. And I don’t hesitate to ask for help when I need it – whether it’s a friend or family member to talk with, a spiritual counselor to help me regain my perspective, a new book to open my mind. After all, we get by with a little help from our friends, right?

4. Move. Our bodies were made to move. Like many of us, my occupation means many hours either driving to my interpreting jobs, or sitting in front of my computer. I am also (yes, I have to admit it) a bit laissez faire when it comes to exercising. So I push myself to get out every day and move my body. I love walking and hiking and swimming in any natural body of water. Spending time with my 86 year old mum in England recently also made me realize I need to work on posture, balance and strength training so I can be an upright and steady old lady – hence I started working with an awesome personal trainer, and actually going to her gym, which I had sworn off ever setting foot in again after repeated failed attempts to stick with it! My strategy to make sure I really go: make appointments with my her and pay her ahead of time!

5. Gratitude. An attitude of gratitude is a key element of my wellbeing program. I’ve had my share of life’s traumas and dramas, and my adult kids have had their share of traumas and crises too… not your daily car broken down, kind of crises, well, those too… but I’m talking about those soul shaking, life altering kinds of crises that rock your whole world. I believe focusing on all that I am grateful for has saved me from despair many times, and enabled me to face life’s challenges with grace and strength and hope. For more on why gratitude is so important to me, read here.

6. Entrepreneurial lifestyle. I am not knocking jobs, by any means. For a free spirited Aquarian like myself, however, I find that being an entrepreneur is the perfect vehicle for me to express my deepest self, grow out of my comfort zone, make a living, and have the flexibility to do all the things I mentioned above. The trouble with being an entrepreneur however, is well, being an entrepreneur – by definition, a risky business – potentially very financially rewarding, but certainly no guarantee. Although in this day and age, even a job is no guarantee, as we all know. I can’t even admit to any significant success as an entrepreneur – YET. However, being blessed with a hard working husband, having made my decision to change my financial landscape in a significant manner, realizing I don’t have forever, doing the work to heal my limiting financial beliefs and act grown up when it comes to money and embarking on a learning journey with an amazing internet marketing venture, I am confident that I will get there!

You might also enjoy Juggling All the Balls: mother, grandmother, wife and entrepreneur



No comments:

Post a Comment