What stories are you embodying?




Knowledge is only a rumor until it’s in the muscle.
New Guinea proverb


I've been writing about the stories we tell ourselves, and how these stories can lull us into the Trance of Scarcity and take us out of the Circle – that magical place where life flows, and we are inspired, purposeful, creative, enjoying a pervading sense of what Victoria Castle refers to as “glad assurance.”

Delving further into her book, I learned that those stories don’t just live in our thoughts, they inhabit our muscles, our nervous system, our very cells - we literally embody their messages.

Think about it for a minute. Picture yourself walking down the street slumped over, eyes down cast, forehead scrunched, your footsteps shuffling. Your breathing is tight and shallow, your jaw is clenched. Not exactly the stance that is going to enable you to go out there and change the world, right?

Now imagine yourself walking with a spring in your step. Your shoulders are back, your chest is open. Your breathing is deep and comfortable. You are wide-eyed and alert to what is around you.  Now that is telling a very different kind of story. You are ready to step into your life. Life is good. Life is full of opportunities.  I can do this!

But change, it turns out, is not just a matter of thinking new thoughts. That’s probably why just layering affirmations over a negative mindset is not usually very effective, at least in my experience. 

The change has to happen on a physical, body level.  And it seems that in this culture, we have lost touch with our own bodies in a very profound sense, trapped in our heads and trying to exert control of mind over matter by sheer willpower.

It. Just. Doesn’t. Work.

The Greek word Soma refers to the living body in its wholeness – mind, body and spirit as one”, explains Castle. The path to regaining our wholeness and inhabiting our bodies, and hence our aliveness, our connection to all of life, it turns out, lies in becoming aware of our bodies’ messages. Without awareness, we are numb. We are cut off. Estranged from our own life force.

So, step one. Be aware. Just observe what is going on in your body from your head down to your toes. What is constricted, what is relaxed? Where is it contracted? Where is it open? What feels numb? What feels more alive?

I’ve perfected the look of shoulder earrings over the years.  So now I am learning to be aware of when my shoulders are creeping up to my ears. And I can tell by how high my shoulders are how my day is going to go – the higher they go, the more I see life as stressful and fraught with challenges. So I just observe. And then I allow them to let go. I relax and take a deep breath. And now life looks brighter, challenges become opportunities. I have stepped back into the Circle and left behind the Trance of Scarcity.

Is it a once and for all exercise, this body awareness and letting go? Not at all, in fact I might have to practice it dozens of times a day, especially some days. But as they say, practice makes perfect, and as Castle reminds us, we literally become what we practice.

So my dear… take a few minutes and tune into your body. Just observe. No judgment. Be curious. It’s amazing what the simple act of awareness can do.

P.S.  In case you missed my earlier posts about Victoria Castle's book, The Trance of Scarcity, you can check them out here :
















1 comment:

  1. One of the best ways to deeply becoming aware of the bodies experience is to get great bodywork. One of my missions is to give you/ the body a feeling of what is possible.
    Your shoulders drop because they can, and not because you make them, and to take a moment with one shoulder dropped and one not yet the nervous system records a possibility- is educated in a way that can be remembered, not by mind but by tissue.
    Come get a session.
    Joy Helstien

    ReplyDelete