The myth of “I’m too busy”

You know how it is when you focus on something, and suddenly you see evidence of that thing everywhere you look?

That happened to me with the matter of procrastination. After my recent epiphany on the subject and subsequent commitment to be done with it for once and for all, I was walking through my local library to pick up a book for my mum, when Rory Vaden’s new book, Procrastinate on Purpose, literally leapt out at me from the new books display.

Now why would I want to procrastinate on purpose, having just kicked the darn thing in the butt, I wondered. Well, I was in for an eye-opener and a truly innovative approach to time management.

According to Vaden, truly successful people, of whom he has worked with many over the years, never whine about being too busy. Radical!

“I am just so busy.”  How many times have we all said this, with a sigh of overwhelm and yes, even a touch of pride at our own self-importance.

That was my excuse for so many years.

Until I realized that it really was a self-defeating justification for not doing something important, something that had been quietly calling me for a long time.

And you know what? Everything that is on my plate, I put there, or allowed it to be put there. I made the commitment. I took it on.  I choose to do it.

So, no more whining about how busy I am. I am not a victim. I choose my own priorities. I am in charge of my life.

Tune in tomorrow as we bust open more myths about time management.

“You and I have the same amount of time in a day as Gandhi, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Mother Teresa, Michael Jordan or anyone else who has achieved greatness.”
                                                            Rory Vaden



No comments:

Post a Comment