On being an early bird

Photo courtesy of James Blair
“The early bird catches the worm.”  Well frankly, I’d much rather linger in bed on a cold morning, snuggle under the covers, putter around, dawdle over my morning tea, check my social media, catch up on my email, take a hot shower, linger over my breakfast smoothie.

But you know what? That really wasn’t getting me much of anywhere. Not in terms of my big dreams to make a difference, to break out of the status quo, to accomplish my grand goals.

And so, I get up early now. Or at least, earlier. I still make my cup of tea, but I sit and meditate – before anything else. Before I turn on that seductive iPhone or take a peak at my computer, for sure. The world and its demands have a way of crowding in on my mind, taking control of my time, asserting their priorities over my own. So first I sit in silence, and deepen my well, and connect to That which feeds my soul. And then I sit down to write my blog post for the day.

Before I started putting first things first, it was so easy to find excuses not to write. I’m too busy. My schedule is too erratic. I don’t have any control over my time. (“Really, Julie?!”) Everything else is more important. I’d rather…. (fill in the blank).

So here is what I have learned these last few weeks. If there is something really important to you, do that one thing first – before the world catches ahold of you, before you find yourself adrift in the world's demands. Do the thing.





1 comment: